Anti Ragging CellFebruary 3, 2022 2023-01-02 10:04
Anti Ragging Cell
Ragging is strictly prohibited in the college premises. If anybody found indulged in such kind of activities, strict action will be taken irrespective of the extent. Supreme Court of India has banned ragging. In order to prevent such activity in campus, several committees have been developed and brought into operation even before the start of 1st year classes by the Director / Principal. Ragging in any form is strictly prohibited within the premises of the college/department/classroom as well as on public transport. Any individual or group of individuals who indulge in an act or practice of ragging, constitutes gross indiscipline and such individual/ groups shall be dealt with as per the ordinance. This includes individual or collective acts or practices that involve physical assault or threat or use of physical force, which violate the status, dignity, and honour of any student.
Students shall not:
- Violate the status, dignity and honour of girl students.
- Violate the status, dignity and honour of SC and ST students.
- Expose students to ridicule and contempt thereby affect their self-esteem.
- Entail verbal abuse and aggression indecent gestures and obscene behaviour.
- The Principal / the Anti ragging committee shall take immediate action on any information of the occurrence of ragging.
Action Against Ragging
Maharashtra Prohibition of Ragging Act 1999 which is in effect from 15th May 1999 has the following provision for action against ragging.
- Ragging within or outside of any educational institution is prohibited.
- Whosoever directly or indirectly commits, participates in, abets, or propagates ragging within or outside any educational institution shall, on conviction, be punished with imprisonment for a term up to 2 years and / or penalty which may extend to Ten thousand rupees.
- Any student convicted of an offence of ragging shall be dismissed from the educational institution & such student shall not be admitted in any educational institution for a period of five years from the date of order of such dismissal.
- Whenever any student or, as the case may be, the parent or guardian or a teacher of an educational institution complaints, in writing of ragging to the head of the educational institution, the head of the educational institution shall without prejudice to the forgoing provisions, within seven days of the receipt of the complaint, enquire in to the matter mentioned in the complaint & if, prima facie, it is found true, suspend the student who is accused of the offence, & shall, immediately forward the complaint to the police station having jurisdiction over the area in which the educational institution is situated, for further action. Where, on the enquiry by the head of the educational institution, it is found that there in no substance, prima facie, in the complaint received, he / she shall intimate the fact, in writing, to the complaint. The decision of the head of the educational institution shall be final.
- If the head of the educational institution fails or neglects to act in the manner specified in section “d” above when a complaint of ragging is made, such person shall be deemed to have abetted the offence & shall, on conviction, be punished as provided for in section “b” above.